Ardene Leventhal's Home Buying Services
The Absolute Best Home Buying Experience
Remember - Many of your moving expenses are tax deductible, so hang on to your receipts. Call the Internal Revenue Service and request "Tax Information On Moving Expenses" to find out which moving expenses you can deduct.
One Month Before Moving
- Pick up a Change-of-Address Kit from the Post Office and fill out for:
- Insurance companies
- Credit card companies
- Magazines and newspapers - to cancel local newspaper delivery
- Doctors, dentists and other providers - to transfer drug prescriptions
- Past employer - for W2 form
- Take a look around the house.
- Start to think about what you don't want to take with you.
- Use up perishable foods
- Sell, donate or hold a garage sale for unwanted items
- Prepare a list of what you want to move.
- Large appliances?
- Outside furniture?
For full service moves:
- Get written estimates from several moving companies
- Will the movers pack for you?
- What items won't they move?
- Get appraisals of high-value items in case of future claims
- Videotape your home and its contents for future reference in case of future claims
For do-it-yourself moves
- Make arrangements for truck rental and moving help, and buy packing supplies:
- Packing and masking tape
- Start packing boxes. Mark boxes clearly as to contents and room to be placed in. Mark "Open First" clearly on boxes containing important items to be unpacked first including:Dishes, Pots and pans, Alarm clock, Bedding, Special toys, Towels, Light Bulbs, Plates, Tools - hammer, pliers, wrench
- Stop by and make arrangements for picking up your important records: Birth, Doctor, Dentist, Legal, Optician, Optometrist, School Documents, Veterinarian
- Close out your bank accounts
- Start a new bank account in Boca Raton.
- Transfer account from current bank?
- Contact your child's new school; notify them of your upcoming move to their area.
- Contact the Boca Raton Chamber of Commerce. Request a relocation package.
Two Weeks Before Moving
- Pack your vital documents in one place:
Passports, Military records, Mortgage records, Marriage license, Birth certificates, Vehicle titles, Stock certificates, Insurance papers, Bank
records, School records, Medical records
- Make arrangements to disconnect your utilities. Get refunds for any deposits made. Have meters read. Give new address for them to send their final bill: Cable - return box if necessary, Electric, Gas, Fuel, Telephone, Water
- Make arrangements to connect utilities to your New Home.
- Make arrangements for cleaning your old home.
- Inquire about your new Florida's auto licensing procedure and auto insurance rates.
- Check with your insurance company about transferring coverage to your New Home.
- Arrange to have a sitter watch your children away from the house on moving day.
One Week Before Moving
- Dispose of any flammable items: lawn mower gas, snow blower gas, paint aerosol cans
- Plan what goes in the car with you: Toys and games for kids, Special breakable items or collections, Important documents and records, Change of clothes and toiletries for your first day, Vacuum cleaner - if you want to clean right away, Toilet paper, First aid kit, Food kit with bottled water, cereal, bananas
- Make travel arrangements for your pets and plants.
- Purchase moving insurance if you have valuable antiques and collections.
- Have your car tuned up, oil changed and ready for the trip.
The Day Before Moving
- Defrost, clean and air out your refrigerator.
- Clean your stove.
- Make sure you have payment ready for the mover - they will not unpack without a check.
- Check your moving company's payment policies.
- Purchase traveler's checks for other possible expenses.
- Pack your former town's phone book for future correspondence.
- Get a simple breakfast ready for the next morning.
- Pick up ice and beverages for moving day.
- Take down curtains and curtain rods.
- Get a good night's sleep!
- Strip your beds.
- Moving company - will they disassemble the beds? Show movers around. Make sure your possessions to be moved are inventoried with them.
- Get all keys together. Put in a safe spot.
- Make sure moving van driver has correct address, phone number and directions.
- Confirm delivery date with movers.
- Check all rooms one last time.
- Remember closets and cupboards, basement and garage!
- Make sure all windows and doors are locked.
Feel free to contact me if I can be of any service!
Register Now for Exclusive Benefits
Sign up for free with My IDX Registration and get unlimited access to details about Florida MLS® listings. You'll be able to save your custom searches, bookmark your favorite Florida properties, and request showings. We will also email you new listings that match your search criteria as they come available.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE APP
Stay in the know!
follow me on
Want to learn more about Ardene's home buyer and seller real estate services?
Contact the expert Realtor®Ardene Leventhal for help buying or selling Palm Beach Gardens homes. For a free consultation, call Ardene at 561-702-6060 or fill out our form below.
My Exclusive Listings
New Search X
No listings were found matching your search criteria.